Sunday, March 21, 2010

Love Notes From The Front Row.

Bonjour tout le monde!

So. I have had a very exciting night last night. And I feel privileged to write about it as my second post (of course!), It was possibly one of the best nights of the year for me, with all my favorite things- amazing dresses, free coffee, pretentious 'fashionistas' (my gosh how I hate that word) and Vogue connections. Here is a short run through of my day:

12:00am  Leave for the city with intentions of seeing part of the Target Rocks Red Market with Andy. Unfortunately we miss our train by a few seconds... possibly something that turned out for the better.

2:00pm  Arrive in the city only to realize we missed the majority of the catwalks... We did catch a glimpse of Whitney Port, of Entourage, The Hills fame...etc etc. Not really my kind of scene to be honest! But still an interesting afternoon.

2:30pm Bump into Andy's photography friend Brett Robson who shows us around his office and studio. There we also meet Ludovic Ismael a photographer from, France who was working in the studio after moving here about a year ago. It was great to see how things happened on the inside, and meet some lovely people!

4:30pm Andy gets a chance to have a go at using all the studio equipment, which so far was the highlight of his day! I got a chance to be in the studio pictures, which at first made me a little nervous, but eventually it was quite fun!



5:00pm Brett suggests that Andy should attempt to get into the last L'oreal Fashion Week runway, The Independant Runway which was held at the Docklands, while we're in the city. We decide to catch a tram and head in that direction just in case a minor miracle happens.

6:00pm We make it to the Docklands and after much waiting around, Andy and I bluff our way into the show with registered media passes as a Photographer and Fashion Writer respectively. Andy got a prime seat in the photography pit, front row at then end of the runway. I get a Front row VIP seat and was sitting in between two prominent writers (one of which writes for Vogue Australia and Harper's Bizarre!).

7:00pm Chat with various writers from the industry and feel rather cliche sitting there discussing people's outfits obnoxiously with the writer from Vogue (who's name unfortunately I cannot remember...) Highlights include men in floral shirts, Madonna circa 1980 haircuts and outfits for the modern sea goddess. Oh dear.

 

8:34pm the show begins, (half an hour late, much to the dismay of those around me) with design favorites such as Who Am I, House Of Baulch, Papillon Homme Femme, and Alexi Freeman. (Of course, I will be blogging later on each designer individually with runway shots!). The runway was set against the long side of the building, with models arriving from the center of the catwalk, and walking a full circle behind backdrops at first then in front of the crowd, with a steady flow being sent out per designer at a quick pace. The entire runway was set to a live DJ, with projector screens showing short films and the view of the catwalk front on.

 Alastair Trung Independent Runway 2010
   Photography Andrew Coles

9:30pm the show finishes, and the crowds disperse quickly. I say goodbye to my new friends, and meet up with Andy and Brett again. They're both pleased with their shots (and I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of them in the weeks to come around the place! We all head home via the Chadstone courtesy bus with complimentary goody bags (squeee!) with chocolates and magazines (the former being the diet of the majority of people there, all so busy they didn't have time to eat!).

12:00am Andy and I arrive home, both incredibly tired, slightly queasy from our sugar based diets, and spend the next few hours looking through some amazing runway pictures from the evening over a cup of tea.


...I think I could get used to this.


Until next time (Runway critique including some of my favorite designs from the night), much love for all,
xx


All photos by Andrew Coles Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment